Today I’m sharing an episode featuring a recipe for Greek Meatloaf, one of those meals that never goes out of style. I know, I know, sometimes the word “meatloaf” can take us all back to frozen dinners in the 80’s, but I swear this recipe is made fresh and is totally worth it. It’s incredibly delicious, features hardboiled eggs in the center, and is a reliably popular family dinner.
The hardboiled eggs in the center of this meatloaf really make it a showstopper. It’s flavored with lots of dried herbs, including our favorite Greek dried oregano, and topped with a classic tomato glaze. I like to serve it sliced on the plate with a green salad and buttered egg noodles. Sometimes people make it into a sandwich by serving it on a soft roll. No matter how you serve it, everyone is going to love it.
There are a few key points to observe when making this for your family. First, wash your hands after handling the raw meat. Be sure to have a generous surface to lay out the plastic wrap and shape the loaf, it is much easier to do it this way than on a crammed, small countertop. Pinch the seam and ends very well to seal everything in while it cooks. Lastly, be liberal with your seasonings and glaze. The real magic of this recipe is the wonderful flavorings. The eggs in the center are always a fun talking point, too.
This is a classic weeknight meal that comes together easily and everyone loves. You can also prepare it in advance and freeze it before you bake it if you’d like. It’s always a great meal to have in the freezer just in case. It feeds a crowd and the leftovers are delicious, too. I hope you enjoy this as much as we do!
Greek Meatloaf (Rolo Kima)
This is the way we make meatloaf in Greece. We use beef, a Greek inspired spice blend, and place hard boiled eggs in the center. This takes very little time to pull together and requires about an hour in the oven. Serve it with lemon potatoes and a green salad for a complete meal!
Makes 6 to 8 servings
2.5 pounds ground beef
1 cup Breadcrumbs
1 tsp Onion Powder
1 tsp Garlic Powder
1 tsp Cumin
1 tsp Dried Oregano
1 tsp dried Thyme
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
3 tbsp Olive Oil
6 tbsp Ketchup, divided
1 tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
3 hard-boiled eggs
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Add the ground beef to a large boil and make a well in the center. Add the eggs, breadcrumbs, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, oregano, thyme, parsley, olive oil, 3 tablespoons of ketchup, salt and pepper.
3. Use clean hands to blend all the ingredients together very evenly.
4. Wash your hands and then add the hard-boiled eggs.
5. Place a large piece of plastic wrap on the countertop, put the meatloaf mixture on top and make it into a rectangle that’s about 12-inches and 4-inches wide and 1 1/2-inch thick. Lay the three hard-boiled eggs down in the center. Use the plastic wrap to lift the side closest to you and fold it over the hard-boiled eggs. Use your hands to seal the other side and seal the bottoms.
6. Lightly grease the bottom and sides of a 7x11 baking dish. Place the meatloaf in the dish, adjusting it as necessary so it fits the dish. Brush the top with the remaining 3 tablespoons ketchup.
7. Bake the meatloaf for 1 hour. Remove it from the oven, slice and serve.
Nikki Glekas is the owner of Nikki Glekas Events, a full-service catering and events company located in Stamford, CT.. To discuss further please contact email@example.com or call 203.658.8659.