LEMON ZEST MASHED POTATOES
Mashed potatoes are a holiday classic! I give ours a twist by adding some lemon zest. It lightens the flavor and pairs well with our main dish. Piping these from a plastic bag really gives the plate a more formal feel and I promise that it is not as hard as it seems. Try it!
Makes 8 Servings
Timing: 40 minutes
5 lbs white potatoes, peeled and left whole
2 sticks of butter
¾ cup whole milk
¾ cup heavy whipping cream
Zest of two lemons
Sea salt, to taste
½ tablespoon white pepper
1. Bring a large pot of water to boil, add salt to taste.
2. Once boiling, add your potatoes. Boil for roughly 25 minutes, or until you can easily pierce them with a fork.
3. While your potatoes are boiling, begin your milk mixture. In a large sauce pan add your butter and fully melt. Once melted add in your lemon zest, and sauté until fragrant (about one minute). Add in your milk and heavy cream and bring to a simmer.
4. When your potatoes are finished boiling, strain and place in a mixing bowl. Using a hand mixer, mix on the lowest speed for about a minute to break up the potatoes. Alternatively, use a hand masher.
5. While on low speed, gradually add your milk mixture into the mixing bowl. Continue to mix or hand mash until the milk mixture if fully combined, and the potatoes are light and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Serve immediately.